I’ve been afraid of trying the rolled hem on my serger for far too long. When I made this dress for Mabel (link), I hemmed the lining with a straight-stitch narrow rolled hem on the sewing machine that takes 5 steps: stitch 1/2″ from seam allowance, fold along stitch line, edgestitch 1/8″ from first stitching, trim next to second line of stitching, fold up and press, and edgestitch again. It’s a beautiful and durable finish, but very time-consuming. Here’s the original lining hem:
Then the dress got washed a bunch of times and the silk of the dress shrank more than the lining, so the lining’s been peeking out. Mabel’s also finally outgrown the dress, and I wanted to shorten the lining before passing the dress down to Rose. In the meantime I’d learned to use the rolled hem on my serger. It took me a while to thread it this evening, and I had some false starts because the nylon lingerie thread I first tried in the lower looper and needle wasn’t strong enough and had to be changed for regular serging thread (I used textured nylon thread in the upper looper) but even so, the hem still went much more quickly than if I’d done it on the sewing machine, and I’m very happy with how it looks:
I also spent some time today helping Mabel make some silk flower hairclips and hairbows for her friend’s birthday, and made a couple bows to stash for the girls’ Easter baskets.