Some of our kids have had milk allergies, but it looks like Henry has a peanut allergy. Forgetting that he got a rash on his face last time he had one, I gave him a peanut-butter sandwich for lunch, and this is what his face looks like, now. (It’s impossible to get an in-focus photo of moving-target Henry even with Mabel’s help restraining him, but you can see that he’s got red spots around his mouth — one of them has small white welts at its center, too.) I gave him a children’s antihistamine and he’s breathing fine, so I think he’ll be okay, but I’ve heard that with peanut allergies you can become sensitized after a few exposures and later reactions can be much worse, so I guess we’ll have to be very careful from now on.
I have a friend whose kid, named Henry, is allergic to everything, including peanuts, so I guess I should have known better than to use that name.
While I’ve been writing this, Henry’s face has mostly cleared up, so I’m hopeful that it’s just a mild allergy (or maybe the antihistamine is acting quickly) (not that I’m going to keep feeding him peanuts, though.)
2012 update: I just noticed I’m still getting occasional hits on this post, so I should say that after testing showed almost no reaction to peanuts, the allergist told us we could avoid directly feeding him peanuts but wouldn’t need to carry and epi-pen or worry about trace amounts. He also suggested that we try feeding Henry peanuts again after a couple of years, which we have done and he has always been fine. So that was nice. I still don’t know what caused his hives in these photos.